Monday, January 21, 2013

The Pancake Epiphany


I think I was in my late 20's or early 30's when I found out pancakes could be made without a premade mix. It wasn't a big 'ahh' moment for me...more like a 'hmmm.'

In my early 20's I worked with a woman who made her own cranberry sauce at Thanksgiving. I thought she was insane.

There was a whole list of things that I had no idea could be homemade. Spaghetti sauce. Bagels. Salad dressing. I could go on and on.

My mother didn't cook from scratch. My grandmother didn't cook from scratch. It was a foreign concept to me...it was possibly something reserved for people in third world countries without access to the grocery store.

I was clueless.

But today I'm eating pizza with crust I made and sauce I made and mushrooms I sliced. Honestly...its not that good. It is a work in progress. It is better then the last time I tried. With a few tweaks here and there it will be even better next time.

Today I have the luxury of making homemade lasagna. I usually buy the froze stuff. *blush* I think it might be to time consuming to do it on a work day. I haven't done any serious math, but I think it might be cheaper then the frozen stuff, too.

Ahh...the things I could accomplish with more days off.

No comments:

Post a Comment